Nearly two years after she was allegedly shot in the foot by Tory Lanez, Megan Thee Stallion opened up about the incident in a new interview with “CBS Mornings” co-host Gayle King. This marks her first television interview since the shooting incident occurred on July 12, 2020. In 2021, LA judge Keith Borjon ordered that the assault and weapons possession charges against the Canadian rapper be upheld. However, Lanez maintains he’s not guilty.
During her interview with King, a tearful Megan detailed the events of the evening that led to the alleged shooting. “It was an argument because I was ready to go and everybody else wasn’t ready to go. But that’s, like, normal friend stuff,” she explained. “It shouldn’t have got this crazy.” The two rappers were reportedly riding in an SUV together in the Hollywood Hills just before the incident took place.
Megan went on to tell King that she never raised her voice or became physical with anyone, which made Lanez’s alleged actions all the more shocking. According to the rapper, it was when she got out of the car that the situation escalated. “So I get out of the car and it’s like everything happens so fast. And all I hear is this man screaming. And he said, ‘Dance, b*tch.’ And he started shooting,” she said. “And I’m just like, ‘Oh, my God.’ Like, he shot a couple of times. And I was so scared.”
At that point, Megan said she was afraid for her life. She alleged Lanez was “standing up over the window” shooting, and in the moment, she was afraid to move for fear of being hit. “I didn’t even want to move. I didn’t want to move too quick,” she said. “I don’t know if he’s gonna shoot something that’s, like, super important. I don’t know if he could shoot me and kill me.”
According to the “Los Angeles Times,” Los Angeles Police detective Ryan Stogner testified in court on Dec. 13, 2021 that Lanez did yell “Dance, b*tch!” as he allegedly opened fire on Megan, per an earlier interview he conducted with her. He also claimed that Lanez made a phone call from jail to a friend of Megan’s, in which he apologized for what happened. Both Lanez and his attorney, Shawn Holley, denied that the shooting was ever mentioned during the call. During the detective’s testimony, Lanez reportedly shouted in court, “How about you tell me what I was apologizing for, bro? That don’t make no sense,” before being hushed by his lawyer and the judge.
In 2021, Megan addressed the fact that some publications were trying to gaslight her after TMZ reported that she allegedly got into a fight with a friend before the incident with Lanez. “Like I’ve been SHOT and the focus of some these headlines are dismissing that I was attacked with a WEPON WHILE I WAS UNARMED and trying to paint it as a cat fight between friends why do I have to relive this with everyone on the internet every day ? And watch y’all gaslight me,” she tweeted.
Like I’ve been SHOT and the focus of some these headlines are dismissing that I was attacked with a WEPON WHILE I WAS UNARMED and trying to paint it as a cat fight between friends why do I have to relive this with everyone on the internet every day ? And watch y’all gaslight me
– TINA SNOW (@theestallion) December 15, 2021
Following the incident, Megan initially told police that she sustained her injuries by stepping on broken glass after attending a party at Kylie Jenner’s home, as reported by TMZ. Police previously arrested Lanez for possessing an illegal firearm before charges were pressed for the shooting. Per BET, Megan posted an Instagram Live video on Aug. 20, 2020, in which she accused Tory of shooting her and claimed that she held that information back from police in fear of causing legal trouble for her friend at the time.
“You shot me, and you got your publicist and your people going to these blogs lying and sh*t. Stop lying,” she said in the now-deleted video. “Why lie? I don’t understand. I tried to keep the situation off the internet, but you’re dragging it.” In the video, she also noted that 2020’s nationwide protests over police violence discouraged her from calling the police because she feared what may have happened if they responded to a vehicle filled with Black men and women and a loaded firearm.
The case is set to go to trial in September of this year.